For soft surfaces such as carpet, rugs, and drapes
- Clean the soft surfaces (carpets, rugs, and drapes) with soap and water or with cleaners made for use on these surfaces.
- Launder items (if possible) using the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely.
- Disinfect using an EPA List Nexternal icon product for use on soft surfaces, if needed.
- Vacuum as usual. If vacuuming an area occupied by a sick person or someone positive for COVID-19 in the last 24 hours, wear a mask when vacuuming.
- Use the warmest appropriate water setting and dry items completely.
- It is safe to wash dirty laundry from a person who is sick with other people’s items.
- If handling dirty laundry from a person who is sick, wear gloves and a mask.
- Clean clothes hampers or laundry baskets according to guidance for surfaces.
- Wash hands after handling dirty laundry.
- Consider putting a wipeable cover on electronics (for example, phones, tablets, touchscreens, keyboards, and remote controls) to make cleaning easier.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning the electronic device.
- If needed, use a disinfectant from the EPA List Nexternal icon but note that many of the products for electronics contain alcohol because it dries quickly.